How to Keep Your Necklaces from Tangling
Layering necklaces is a fun and easy way to add style to your outfit, but fixing necklaces throughout the day can be so annoying! The clasps seem to always turn to the front, and it’s hard to fix when the necklaces are intertwined into each other. Here are a few tips and tricks that we put together to help them from tangling!
- Make sure they're at least 2" apart. The closer they are in length, the more likely they'll tangle.
- Unclasp the necklace and dangle it from one side to get all the twists out. This will ensure that the necklace doesn't already have twists on its own and tangle even more.
- Use necklaces with different chains or materials. Different chains/materials won't tangle as much as necklaces with the same chain.
- Mix chunky + dainty. Dainty necklaces tend to tangle less with chunkier chains, and more so with other dainty necklaces.
- Put on daintier necklaces first, and then chunky necklaces. The chunkier chains will stay in place, and they'll also help weigh down the daintier chains.
Even if you follow all of the tricks above, the necklaces can still get naturally get tangled as we do move our necks a lot.
We came up with another solution - the layered necklace detangler! It helps keep layered necklaces from getting tangled throughout the day, and it saves you from having to bring the clasp to the back one at a time.
What is a layered necklace detangler?
The layered necklace detangler is a necklace clasp that can hold onto 2-4 necklaces at a time. It helps keep your necklaces from getting tangled as you go on about your day. It also keeps your necklace clasps all together in one spot so that you don’t have to adjust the necklaces one at a time! As a plus, you can put on and take off 2-4 necklaces at a time, instead of unclasping them all individually.
How does the necklace detangler work?
The necklace detangler is made of two components that slide into each other. One side of the detangler has rings for you to attach your necklaces onto. The other side has spring clasps that will clasp onto the other end of your necklaces. All you have to do is clasp your necklaces onto the detangler, slide it open, put it on, & slide it closed! It’s pretty easy and intuitive to use, but we will include detailed instructions with each purchase (and you can also message us if you have any questions!)
Will the necklace detangler work for me?
We love our necklace detangler and think that all layered necklace lovers should have one! There are, however, a few prerequisites for it to work for you!
- You should have necklaces that have the ability to be layered (2-3” apart is ideal for us). If they can’t be layered without the detangler, then they can’t be layered with the detangler.
- If one of your necklaces has a fixed charm, you should be able to layer it with your other necklaces on the shortest clasp. If it can’t be layered on the shortest clasp, it may be off-center compared to your other necklaces and may increase the chances of your detangler falling to the front.
Here are a few examples of a necklace with fixed charms: Personalized Bar Necklace, Moonstone Necklace, and Star Choker Necklace. Note that the charms can't be moved around on the necklace, but rather are stuck in place.
- You should understand that this is not a fix-all solution - your necklaces may still tangle from time to time, especially with lots of movement, but the clasp will definitely make it easier to manage your layered necklaces. The clasp may also fall to the front as you go about your day, but it is much easier to pull the clasp to the back of your neck rather than fix all the necklaces individually.
We put together a few pros and cons so you can decide whether you want one!
Necklace Detangler Pros
- All of your necklace clasps are kept together in one spot, so you don’t have to constantly turn your clasps to the back of your neck one at a time.
- You can put on/take off 2-4 necklaces at once after they’re attached onto the detangler! This makes putting on and taking off necklaces much easier.
- You can live in the detangler! They are made of 14k gold fill or sterling silver, so they’re safe to get wet. You can shower in it, gym in it, and even sleep in it (although it may be a little uncomfortable!).
- It’s hypoallergenic! 14k gold filled & sterling silver are both safe for people with skin sensitivities.
Necklace Detangler Cons
- Sometimes the detangler can fall to the front of your neck. This is caused by moving your neck around, which is normal and can’t be helped. You can counteract this by layering heavier necklaces.
- The detangler is a little heavy, so lighter necklaces may be pulled back and become shorter. You can counteract this by getting a smaller detangler (2-3 clasp instead of 4).
Which necklace detangler should I get?
We offer detanglers with 2 or 3 clasps in both gold filled and sterling silver. If you have dainty necklaces, we recommend getting a clasp with the least amount of necklaces you like to layer. For example, if you like to layer 3-4 necklaces, you should get the 3 clasp, because you can put more than 2 necklaces onto a clasp if your necklaces are dainty!
If your necklaces are not as dainty and have bigger clasps, we recommend getting the exact amount of necklaces you like to layer. Some people like to get all 3 to have the equal amount of clasps to necklaces. It’s totally up to you!
Layered Necklace Detangler shown in gold with 2, 3, and 4 clasps
Get yours now!
We hope you found this guide useful now that we’ve let you into our little secret on how to keep your necklaces from tangling! You can get your necklace detangler by clicking on the button below. Let us know if you have any questions or comments in the section below. Happy layering! :)